For millennia, spirituality has been a deeply personal pursuit - monks on mountaintops and yogis in caves. But the world is more social than ever, and interconnectedness is transforming everything, from our family lives to work. Today, we need a spirituality that focuses more on "we" than "me."
In Evolutionary Relationships
, Patricia Albere draws on more than four decades of teaching work to introduce a new spirituality called "mutual awakening" that you can explore with a friend, lover, spouse, or partner. With practices to guide you and lessons to inspire you, this book helps you become more available to yourself, your partner, and our world.
WHAT IS AN "EVOLUTIONARY" RELATIONSHIP?
Life is defined by relationships--we're deeply social creatures. But not all relationships are created equal. An "Evolutionary Relationship" is one that drives us, challenges us, compels us to grow and evolve. It is a consciously created connection that is formed between two or more people who mutually commit to explore and develop higher states of perception and awareness together.
This book will show you how to find and amplify the "evolutionary relationships" in your own life. Perhaps more importantly, it will show you how to transform any committed relationship--whether with a spouse, a lover, a partner, a close friend, or family member--into a dynamic engine for mutual evolution.
PRACTICING MUTUAL AWAKENING:
The book is centered around an in-depth exploration of Patricia's 8 Activating Principles of Mutual Awakening. You'll be guided, step-by-step through each of the following principles with exercises and practices:
- Engagement: A genuine interest in what happens within the relationship. Saying "yes" to being fully connected.
- Commitment: Dedication to each other and to the relationship, expressed as a willingness to "stay on the inside" even if something is not working.
- Truth: A shared love of truth and transparency, and a desire to explore reality openly together.
- Trust: The ability to generate trust together (even while knowing that we inevitably will disappoint each other), and a willingness to allow this field of mutual trust to restore a more universal trust in life itself.
- Openness: A presence and availability for whatever arises in the moment, which allows the field of the relationship to offer all of its possibilities.
- Essential Uniqueness: Embracing the distinct dimensions of each other's identity that allows your relatedness to flower. Authentic essential autonomy is developed and strengthened inside the sacred communion of the relationship.
- Contact: A deep respect for each person's essential, unique being that touches each person's soul outside the boundaries of the personality.
- Mutual Influence: The desire to positively affect each other. This sacred intent creates a field of sensitivity and responsibility that allows the relationship to thrive on multiple levels and dimensions.